Following a successful first edition, Tremblant’s Alpine Touring Festival returns this weekend, January 8 to 10. Neophytes and pros alike are invited to share a weekend highlighting the latest gear and techniques on the ski mountaineering sport scene.
The festival group guides went out together on January 3rd to check out the trails… And they look amazing!
What’s new in 2016?
- Sunrise Ascent Is there a better way to start your day? Skiers wearing a headlamp and registered for the ascent will be rewarded with Tremblant’s splendid view of the sunrise from the summit. There’s more to that reward: they will also be part of the privileged few to carve first tracks!
- Winter Mountain Bike (Fat Bike) Demo Saturday and Sunday, the curious are invited to try the new wave in winter sports: the FatBike. Free bike demos will be offered on nearby trails. Rendezvous at the Festival Base Camp, 9am – 3pm.
- Race News Sanctioned by SKIMOEAST, some Festival races will allow competitors to collect their first points of the season in the Skimo Championship Series, a total of 10 events across North-Eastern North America. Plus, some ascents offer geolocation with the Strava app, so racers can later compare performances.
- Avalanche Québec Seminar Saturday afternoon, the Avalanche Québec group is presenting a free seminar entitled “Are You Ready For Off-Piste Skiing?”. A must-attend to learn all about the basics.
- Guided Treks Perfect for experienced alpine touring skiers and beginners alike, assorted treks cover the basics and introduce participants to the mountain’s alpine touring trails.
- Base Camp The Base Camp at the Place des Voyageurs is the go-to spot for information about alpine touring gear. Manufacturers will be on hand to present skis, bindings, poles and accessories.
- Traversée Nocturne (Starlight Trek) Our 2015 People’s Choice event. At day’s end, participants are guided up the South Side in small groups, rest at the summit around a crackling fire and ski down a freshly groomed trail afterwards, by the light of their headlamps. Skiers are then rewarded with a nice fondue dinner! Sign up before Thursday, space is limited.
For registration and a detailed event programme, please visit the event webpage.